I have to say that I am in absolute awe of mums like my cousin who on a day-to-day basis have to think of food for their kids which are free from all food colourings, gluten dairy , nuts etc. Coming up with something that was allergy free of all these I have to say was a huge challenge!
One I enjoyed but, again I take my hat off to all those parents dealing with these food issues everyday. I found with these cookies you really don’t want to bake them more then 10 minutes or else they will be a wee bit too crunchy, but they actually are quite nice and I found that I had no problem tucking into them until I reminded myself that they were supposed to be for my nephew. The icing I made for them, again making certain that there was no food colouring, etc. was made from some icing sugar and Nuttlex with a tablespoon or two of water.
1 3/4 cups Gluten Free Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 Nuttlex Olive (Dairy Free Spread)
1/2 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup Apple Sauce
1/4 tsp salt
2tsp lemon juice
1. Line two cookie trays with baking paper and Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius
2. Beat Sugar and Nuttelex untill pale and creamy.
3. Add the Apple Sauce ,salt and lemon juice and mix. Stir in the flour and baking powder and mix all ingredients together to form dough
4. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and place in the fridge for about 10 mins
5. Roll dough out and cut out as desired, its fun to make these into holiday shapes or quick and easy just to cut into circles
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes
7. Frost or decorate as desired