Sunday, March 26, 2017

Buttery Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread a cookie or biscuit depending on what you call it, with such simple ingredients but yields an amazing delicious tea time treat.

A colleague's husband was kind enough to bake up a batch of the most delicious shortbread cookies I have ever tasted for our office morning tea.  As if that was not good enough, he made them chocolate chip and they were cut into the shape of giraffes. Why giraffes you might ask? Well, another colleague was celebrating a work anniversary and she also happens to love giraffes, although I have to say I don't believe one needs a good reason to make shortbread cookies into giraffes. They are just adorable!




Nat's hubby was lovely enough to provide his recipe, which is exceptionally kind of him as I know a lot of chefs can be very guarded about these things. I have been trying to be a lot healthier in my baking lately producing a delicious healthy banana coconut bread (watch out for that post) last week, however, I felt I just needed to test out this recipe. Sadly I only had heart shape cookie cutters so they will have to do!

I ended up halving my dough and freezing it for another day, it was either that or I would have probably eaten the whole thing! With half the quantity I made about 16 heart shape cookies, which was delicious. In fact, it is taking all my willpower not to get up from this chair and greedily inhale a few more. Although I feel it is mostly a losing battle. How does that saying go, "the spirit is willing, but the body is weak" that pretty much sums it up!





Give this recipe a try you will not regret it!

•    300g Butter
•    150g Caster Sugar    
•    550g Plain Flour
•    1 tsp Baking powder
•    1 egg
•    1tsp Vanilla 
•    1 tsp Lemon
•    ½ cup Chocolate Chips

  1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
  2. Beat the butter and the sugar together until smooth.
  3. Add the egg and mix in, followed by the vanilla essence and   lemon
  4. Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. 
  5. Fold in the chocolate chips and then turn onto a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick.
  6. Cut into rounds, giraffes, hearts (whatever you fancy) and place onto a baking tray. Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
  7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.





No comments:

Post a Comment