Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hummingbird Bakery Brownies

                                                                                                                        by the Konstant Kraver                 
         A few weeks ago I eagerly unwrapped my Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, and after being  told by a friend that their brownies are simply amazing.I just knew those had to be the very first thing that I would make.I have been trying to cut down on the amount of sugar that I use in my baking, and was slightly uncomfortable to use the amount they suggested. However it took all my will power not to modify the recipe much otherwise I would never know what makes these brownies so good. I did run out of caster sugar so ended up using half brown and half caster sugar and they turned out lovely, soft and gooey on the inside  with a nice flaky crust.They were quite rich and fudgey in there taste. I still think the amount of sugar in them is a bit excessive but that could just be my view.This is the second thing I have tried from this cookbook.The first being Green Tea Cupcakes I had made for me for my Birthday earlier this year.I dont think I have had anyone bake solely for me in a long time and I loved it ! the cupcakes were unusual but strangely delicious since I am not a massive tea drinker and my taste buds are somewhat unaccustomed to the taste of green tea. I will be trying out a few more of the recipes in the book you can be sure of that.


The recipe I used for the brownies was from my book,but I found the same one on RedOnline.co.uk.




Makes: 12
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
You will need
33 x 23 x 5-cm baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper
200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
175g unsalted butter
325g caster sugar
130g plain flour
3 eggs
icing sugar, to decorate

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
2. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Leave until melted and smooth.
3. Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir until well incorporated. Add the flour and stir until well incorporated. Finally, stir in the eggs and mix until thick and smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until flaky on the top but still soft in the centre. Be careful not to overcook otherwise the edges will become hard and crunchy. Leave to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar, to decorate.
Recipe, The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook by Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers

 ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment