allwomenstalk.com, I just made a few changes here and there, but it is a great recipe and you should give it a go. You may be suspicious of the fact that it uses polenta.I would not blame you I did have my doubts . It is nice to be proven wrong once in awhile. The cake was moist and so comforting with the fresh cream yum! I may just add one egg next time and would love to use dark chocolate just to see how different it would turn out.If your looking for something a little different this Halloween why not try this delicious ,Chocolate & Pumpkin Polenta Cake.
Ingredients of Chocolate Polenta Cake:1 cup water
1/4 cup Polenta
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
6 oz Milk chocolate chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
4 large egg yolks
5 large egg whites
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Sweetened whipped cream (to serve)
2 oz. shaved chocolate to decorate
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 egg yolk
1 whole egg
3 tablespoons sugar
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 160° C. Grease 9-inch spring form pan.
- Combine water and cornmeal in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil about 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; let stand 2 minutes. Add butter, chocolate and vanilla extract; stir until melted. Cool completely.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and egg yolks in small mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is thick and creamy. Stir in chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites in large mixer bowl at high speed until soft peaks form. Continue beating; gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat until glossy and stiff peaks form. (DO NOT OVER BEAT.) Gently stir in chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into prepared spring form .
- Meanwhile in separate bowl cream the cheese and add the egg yolk and whole egg , add the spices and sugar and whisk till smooth.Gently pour the mixture into the cake pan without stirring.
- Bake for 1 to 1.5 hours minutes or until cake is set in center. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Remove side of pan. Serve with whipped cream. Sprinkle with chocolate