by the Konstant Kraver
In complete contrast to last weeks Raspberry gelato post. This one is for those of us who are coming into the cooler months and just want a nice warm pudding to snuggle up to. I apologize for the photo. I made this dessert for our mother‘s day lunch and had a mere few minutes before the hoards descended upon it. This caramel, cashew nut heaven was one based on a recipe I found on www.taste.com.au.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 120g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 cup (250g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cup (145g) unsalted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp Rum
- Vanilla ice-cream or thick cream, to serve
- 1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 80g butter, chopped
- 1Tbsp Rum
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 2 cup (310ml) boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a (3L) capacity ovenproof dish. Combine the butter and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes or until butter melts. Remove from heat and add the sugar, flour and maple syrup ,and rum and stir until combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle with cashews.
- To make the sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir until butter is melted. Stir in the cream and rum. Pour slowly over the back of spoon into the pudding mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until centre is cooked through. Serve immediately with ice-cream or cream.