Saturday, March 17, 2012

PassionFruit Marshmallows


                                                                                                            by the Konstant Kraver

Finally I put my Bea's of Bloomsbury cookbook to use. Last year when I was in London , walking into Bea's was pure heaven they had so many enticing goodies around I just knew that I had to get my self the cookbook.

The first thing I tried was the passion fruit marshmallows and since I have been feeling nostalgic lately I thought I would try recreate them based on the recipe from there book. Who doesn't love marshmallows I have such found memories of them from all the colourful ones my mum used to make for our birthdays to roasting them over a fire at school, during half term ....ahh I could go on forever but I will spare you.  They do contain some passion fruit seeds which adds a lovely crunch , if your making them for the kiddies make sure you leave the seeds out and just use the passion fruit juice.


Here is the recipe
60ml/1/4 cup passion fruit extract
20g/3tbsp  powdered gelatine
60 ml/1/4 cup cold water
440g/2.25 cup caster sugar
200ml/0.75 cup water
160ml/0.5 cup golden syrup
1Tbsp vanilla essence
1 tsp yellow food colouring

  pan/cooking spray,for the baking pan for greasing
4-5 tbsp cornflour/icing sugar for coating



Line the brownie tin with cling film and coat thoroughly in vegetable oil.
Put the gelatine and the 60ml/1/4 cup cold water and 60ml/1/4 cup in a large mixing bowl and stir. Let sit and all the gelatine to swell or "bloom"

In the mean time, put caster sugar,water and syrup in a pan . Cook over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved then put your thermometer into the pan, turn up heat and bring to the boil. You’re aiming for the liquid to reach 120′C 

Whisking furiously with an electric whisk ,slowly add the sugar syrup to the gelatine mixture marshmallow. Keep mixing until it becomes really thick in texture. If you lift the whisk head out of the mixture thin bubblegum-like strands should appear. Stir in the vanilla extract and yellow food colouring.

Pour into the prepared tin scraping the mixture out of the bowl with a greased spatula. Sift some cornflour/icing sugar over the top and let rest for 2 hours or  until the top is firm when pressed.

Once the marshmallow has set, Grease your hands and a knife with vegetable oil. Lift out the marshmallow using the rest of the cling film and then peel it off. Cut up into squares and then roll each chunk in the cornflour to give a pleasing white coating.

Eat immediately or keep in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment