Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sakeji School Chocolate Whoopie Pies

                                                                                    by the Konstant Kraver

When I was in boarding school in Zambia there was one thing we all would looked forward too and that was when we would eagerly run down to the dining hall for tea and would be greeted by none other than delicious whoopie pies.That was the first time I was ever introduced to these wonderful little tea time snacks. To be honest I can not remember having them since so I was long over due for some!



Thanks to the wonderful Sakeji School group on Facebook I was able to get the recipe. However since the original recipe caters for I am guessing roughly 60 or more hungry kids I have modified it slightly praying that I had not changed it too much from the original .I remembered it having whipped cream in the middle , but the recipe proves my memory a little lacking since it appears to be a butter cream icing . This recipe was really easy , and within half an hour I was pretty much done and just had them sitting on the rack waiting to cool. Once they were completely cool they could be filled with the beautiful soft creamy butter icing.As my sister said it is very rare when something from your childhood memories taste as good and exactly how you remembered it , they were amazing !

Makes 6 reasonable sized ones

1 Heaping Cup of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3  cups Brown Sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 Cup sour milk
1/2 Cup Cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1  tsp bicarbonate soda
1 eggs

Filling
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup icing sugar sifted
1tsp vanilla extract
1Tbls milk 
Hot water as necessary


  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2-3 baking trays with baking paper.
  2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, followed by the vanilla and sour cream Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and beat until combined. Place tablespoonfuls of mixture 4cm apart on the prepared trays. Bake for 7-8 minutes until doubled in size and firm on top when gently pressed. Cool on trays.
  4. Filling: Beat butter until soft and creamy. With the mixer on its lowest speed, gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Increase the speed to high, and beat until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Then, with the mixer on low speed, beat in the vanilla extract and slowly drizzle in the milk and a little warm water as necessary. Continue to beat until the filling looks like soft mayonnaise. I chose to colour half my mixture, to brighten things up !



No comments:

Post a Comment